Click on the links for additional information.
Collection 17 services
- Biblio e-book service
- Board games
- Celia-library services
The library has a collection of e-books and streaming audio books. The e-books are mainly in Swedish but also in Finnish and English. Access to e-books requires authentication with your library card and a pin code.
- Ellibs e-book service
- Jacobstad- collection
- Multilingual Library services
- Naxos Music Library
Newspapers and magazines
Recent copies of newspapers and magazines are located in the newspaper reading room, which can be visited during Library opening hours. You may also read newspapers on the internet. PressReader provides you with today's newspapers from more than 150 countries. The service offers instant translation as well as sound integration. ePress provides you with today's newspapers from Finland. The resources may be accessed from any library computer.
PressReader - foreign magazines and newspapers
Pressreader - today's newspapers from over 150 countries.
Pressreader is a service that provides digital newspapers and magazines from all around the world. Sign in with your library card and pin code to get unlimited access to Pressreader’s full selection.
You can also use Pressreader on your smartphone or tablet without signing in when you visit the library and are connected to the library’s wireless network.
The library music department has an extensive collection of sound recordings and sheet music. The loan period is 30 days.
Books on the ground floor: Novels, poetry, drama books, comic books, audio books, children's literature.
Books on the first floor: Non-fiction literature, language courses, dictionaries, reference collection, special collections, hobbies.
- Faroe Islands -collection
- Anna Bondestam -collection
Viddla - film streaming service
Viddla is a streaming service where you can borrow movies with your library card and PIN-code
How to use Viddla:
Start by choosing the movie you want to watch. Under the menu Films you can filter the selection by choosing a genre or an audience. Click on the picture of the movie you want to see and click on Play film. Choose your library and enter your library card number and your PIN-code. The movie is available for 48 hours and can be watched as many times as you want during this time.
You can borrow a maximum of three movies per month. The library has budgeted a certain amount of money for each month, and if the limit is reached no one can borrow movies until the next month.
Viddla’s age limits are set according to the Act on Audiovisual Programmes. You can read more about the age limits on KAVI's website.
When watching a movie, you can choose the language of the subtitles by clicking on the gear icon.
Resume watching a movie:
Viddla has no log in-button. You can resume watching a movie by searching the movie, clicking on the Play film-button and entering your information. Viddla remembers that you already have borrowed this movie.
Watch a movie on TV:
There is no smart-TV application for Viddla, but it can be used with e.g. Chromecast or AirPlay. You can also watch the movies directly on your computer or tablet computer. Find out more about how Viddla works on different devices here.
Only in Finland:
You cannot use Viddla abroad.
Hardware 9 services
- 3D printer
- Automated book return machine
The Jakobstad City Library provides several public access PC Internet computers for adults.
Printing is available from library computers.
- Copies and prints
- Magnifying reader machine
- Microfilm reader
- Self-service lending machine
Room 8 services
Service 9 services
- Books home -service
Regional and Interlibrary loans
Regional and Interlibrary loans
A book that is not available in the library collection can be requested from another library by regional or interlibrary loan. Regional and Interlibrary Loan request forms are available at the Library Information Desk on the first floor. You may also request regional and interlibrary loans by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following details in your request:
- Title of Book or Journal
- Book Author(s)
- Year of Publication
- Your own Name, Phone Number and E-mail.
A € 2.00 fee per item will be charged for each Regional loan requested (loans from Fredrika libraries and Vaasa City Library)
A € 7.00 fee per item will be charged for each Interlibrary loan requested (Copies of articles € 7.00 per item or more).
Lending to Other Libraries
Requests may be made by e-mail.
- Collaboration between schools and library
- Self-service library
All those living in Finland can obtain a library card by presenting an official identity card.
The Library card - conditions of use
- Library cards are issued free of charge
- To obtain a Library card, you must present a picture ID, verification of your name,address and signature and complete a Library Card Application Form
- Please contact us if you lose your Library card
- A small fee is charged for a new card.
- Signing the card means you comply with all library rules and policies
- Signing the card means you are responsible of use and return of all library materials
- Customers 14 years of age or younger must have their cards signed by their parent or guardian.
- As a parent or guardian you are responsible for the materials borrowed by your child
Circulation of library materials
- Loan periods vary according to the type of material borrowed but are never longer than four weeks
- The date for return is printed on the date due receipt
- Loans can be renewed up to a maximum of five times.
- Books will not renew if they have been recalled by another library user
- An overdue fine will be charged for overdue library material
- You may place a hold on a book that is not currently available
- A book that is not available in the library collection can be requested from another library by regional or interlibrary loan. A fee is charged for each regional or interlibrary loan request.
- DVD, Blu-ray and videocassettes 14 days
- Course books 14 days
- Console games and Board games 14 days
- Other library materials 30 days
Fines and Fees
- Overdue fine per day and item - € 0.20
- Maximum fine per item - € 5.00
- Maximum accumulated fine - € 15.00
Photocopies and printouts
- Black and white printouts/photocopies - € 0,30/page
- Colour printouts/photocopies - € 0,50/page
- Regional loans € 2.00 per item.
- Interlibrary loans € 7.00 per item. (Copies of articles € 7.00 per item or more)
- Replacement Library Card € 3,50
Lost or Damaged Material
- The borrower is liable to compensate for any lost or damaged material
- You may be asked to replace it with similar material or to pay the cost for replacing this material as set by the library.
- Blu-ray discs or DVDs can not be replaced due to copyright restrictions
- Fees or fines that have already been made are not refunded
- Late payment reminder fee: € 5.00
Artikelsök- Contains references to articles from the back issues of Swedish newspapers and Journals. Access from library computers or connected to the library’s Wi-Fi.
Alex- Novelists from all over the World - Facts and Information in Swedish. Access from library computers or connected to the library’s Wi-Fi or with library card number and PIN code.
Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)
The Jakobstad City Library offers free wireless Internet Access. Network Name: BIBWLAN. Ask the staff for the password.